Thursday, November 13, 2014

I'm thankful for...

Today, I told students what they could NOT tell me they were thankful for.

We were starting a Thanksgiving craft which involved finishing the sentence, "I am thankful for..."
This is a pretty typical sentence starter in elementary schools all across the country every November, but I was looking for sentences that weren't so... typical.

So, I made a list on the board of words they were not permitted to use to finish the sentence.
Here is what we started with:
I'm thankful for everything.
I'm thankful for the world.
I'm thankful for my food.
I'm thankful for my house.
I'm thankful for my family.

Not so exciting.
So, I banned those phrases! Can teachers even do that??? I guess so! And I am glad I did, because here is what I ended up with instead:
I'm thankful for everything.
I am thankful that God provided a car for us when our car broke.
I am thankful for healing my sister's mosquito bite.
I am thankful for playing football.
I'm thankful for my house.
I am thankful for a roof over my head.
I am thankful for my neighborhood.
I am thankful for my family.
I am thankful for my sister, brother, and mom. (Check out that fantastic use of commas in a series!!! Woah!)

As your family is heading into the holiday season, don't forget to "Do Something!"
Here is an idea about how to use blessing bags and random acts of kindness to celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas!
Find out how at thirtyhandmadedays.com

No comments:

Post a Comment